The Board of Adjustment shall have the following powers:
(1) Errors. To hear and decide appeals where it is alleged there is error in any order, requirement, decision, or determination made by the Building Inspector, the Zoning Officer or by the Planning & Zoning Committee or its delegates in the enforcement of codes, regulations or ordinances under their jurisdiction.
(2) Variances. To hear and grant applications for variances as will not be contrary to the public interest, where, owing to special conditions, a literal enforcement will result in practical difficulty or unnecessary hardship, so that the spirit and purposes of the Ordinance shall be observed and the public safety, welfare, and justice secured. Use variances shall not be granted, nor shall a variance be granted where the conditions exist as a result of a self-imposed hardship.
(3) Interpretations. To hear and decide applications for interpretations of the codes, regulations, ordinances and the boundaries of the zoning districts after the Planning & Zoning Committee has made a review and recommendations.
(4) Permits. The Board may reverse, affirm wholly or partly, modify the requirements appealed from, and may direct the issuance of a permit.
(5) Assistance. The Board may request assistance from other town and county officials, departments, commissions, and boards.
(6) Oaths. The Chairman, or in his absence the Acting Chairman, shall administer oaths and may compel the attendance of witnesses.